Wednesday, May 20, 2026
HomeNewsConvicted ex-power minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC in Kaduna

Convicted ex-power minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC in Kaduna

Horse’s Mouth News appreciates donations in support of good journalism and quality reportage. (Naira Account, Nigeria)
Account number: 6281917627
Account name: Horse’s Mouth News Media
Bank: Monie Point

Convicted ex-power minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC in Kaduna

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said the agency has arrested convicted former power minister Saleh Mamman.

This was disclosed in a press briefing on Tuesday at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja, by the chairman of the commission, Ola Olukoyede.

The Federal High Court Abuja had on Wednesday sentenced the former minister to 75 years imprisonment after his conviction on May 7.

Justice James Omotosho convicted Mamman on a 12-count charge of fraud and money laundering, filed by the EFCC in relation to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydroelectric power projects.

The court directed security agencies to arrest Mamman anywhere he was found, ordering that the jail term would commence from the arrest date, while also ordering the forfeiture of all monies and properties recovered from the former minister to the Federal Government.

Justice Omotosho also directed a refund by the former minister, of the outstanding balance from the alleged N22 billion linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydroelectric power projects.

Olukoyede in his press briefing stated
that the former minister was arrested in Kaduna State in the early hours of Tuesday, alongside two others.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished.

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” the EFCC boss stated.

“We are working. There is no area that we will not go into. We will not leave any area untouched just to ensure that we fulfil our mandate.

“We will uphold our mandate and ensure that everyone, whether private or public, will be investigated and brought to court,” he added.

Olukoyede said Mamman was indicted for over N33 billion fraud, a sum meant for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

“Even before May 24, sometime in January 2025, we filed a charge against the ex-Minister of Power for allegedly converting over N33 billion that was set aside for Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

“About 14 to 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured a conviction on all 12 counts,” he noted.

The EFCC chairman stated that the reason behind the delayed sentencing was the absence of the defendant in court.

“Because the main defendant was not present then, the issue of sentencing was shifted, and on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia.

“Since then, we have decided to open our Intelligence, Surveillance and Recovery operations, looking for him all over the place,” he said.

The anti-graft agency’s boss further stressed the need for the commission to review its monitoring procedures for high-profile suspects on trial, as closer surveillance is required to prevent escape from jurisdiction by suspects.

”Going forward, there is a need for us to also review our processes, particularly as it relates to ongoing court proceedings. For every high-profile case, as a matter of fact, for every corruption case, we must be able to place every defendant under surveillance.

“Because it is not in the interest of the country for someone who is under criminal trial or prosecution to escape from jurisdiction. So, we are going to look at it. We are going to work with the court.

“We are going to follow all legal and judicial processes to ensure that all potential defendants in criminal cases are placed under surveillance,” he stated.

Mamman served in late President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration before he was sacked in 2021 and subsequently arrested by the EFCC four months later for illegal diversion of public funds.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular